Although I often opt for lighter fare, like salads and simple pastas, in the summertime, I just can’t let summer go by without grilling a steak or two. One of my favorite cuts of beef is the flat iron steak. It’s tender, juicy, and easy to prepare. The flat iron steak can stand on its own with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper but I always like to have it with a side of chimichurri sauce. I also throw in a few vegetables on the grill and they go perfectly with the chimichurri sauce as well. Ever since I tried the Grilled Skirt Steak Chimichurri at Nordstrom Cafe, I’ve been hooked on those giant grilled carrots and asparagus.
It’s worthwhile noting that the steak can easily be pan-seared, which I often do, and the vegetables can be roasted in the oven, with the same satisfying outcome.
Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
2-2 1/2 lbs flat iron steak
salt and pepper to taste
1. Allow steak to rest at room temperature for about 30-45 minutes before grilling.
2. Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
4. Grill 4-6 minutes on each side depending on desired doneness; 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
5. Slice thinly against the grain.
Note: Same cooking time and temperatures apply for pan-searing.
Makes 1 cup
1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup packed cilantro
1/4 cup fresh mint
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon honey
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Purée until just smooth. Serve with grilled steak and vegetables.
Grilled Carrots and Asparagus
1 bunch carrots with stems
1 bunch asparagus
salt and pepper
1. Trim the asparagus and peel the carrots.
2. Brush with olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Grill asparagus for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Grill carrots for 10-12 minutes, turning once.
Note: For oven roasting, pre-heat oven to 400°F. Prepare the vegetables as described above. Roast asparagus for 6-7 minutes. Roast carrots for 20-25 minutes.